HVO Scientist-in-Charge Tina Neal gave an EXCELLENT evening briefing on the first 24 hours of the Leilani Estates Eruption, explaining very clearly what was happening and why.
Powerpoint slide summary of TALK:
- 6 fissures in first 24 hours — more are expected
- No lava flows extending more than tens of yards so far — flows are expected
- Magma intrusion into LERZ [Lower East Rift Zone] is continuing
- High levels of sulfur dioxide gas [SO2] near fissures and downwind
- More Magnitude 5+ earthquakes possible as volcano adjusts to intrusion